After being pioneered in South Africa,
1HIV donor-positive to recipient-positive (D+/R+) abdominal organ transplantation has been performed in the United States under research protocols pursuant to the HIV Organ Policy Equity (HOPE) Act.
- Muller E
- Barday Z
- Mendelson M
- Kahn D.
HIV-positive–to–HIV-positive kidney transplantation—results at 3 to 5 years.
N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 613-620
- Durand CM
- Zhang W
- Brown DM
- et al.
A prospective multicenter pilot study of HIV-positive deceased donor to HIV-positive recipient kidney transplantation: HOPE in action.
Am J Transplant. 2021; 21: 1754-1764
3However, center volume requirements have until now precluded thoracic transplantation. We report the 90-day survival of the world's first HIV D+/R+ heart transplant, performed as part of a heart/kidney transplant.
- Durand CM
- Florman S
- Motter JD
- et al.
HOPE in action: a prospective multicenter pilot study of liver transplantation from donors with HIV to recipients with HIV.
Am J Transplant. 2022; 22: 853-864
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- HIV-positive–to–HIV-positive kidney transplantation—results at 3 to 5 years.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 613-620
- A prospective multicenter pilot study of HIV-positive deceased donor to HIV-positive recipient kidney transplantation: HOPE in action.Am J Transplant. 2021; 21: 1754-1764
- HOPE in action: a prospective multicenter pilot study of liver transplantation from donors with HIV to recipients with HIV.Am J Transplant. 2022; 22: 853-864
- Transmission of human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus from an organ donor to four transplant recipients.Am J Transplant. 2011; 11: 1218-1225
- Induction immunosuppression and clinical outcomes in kidney transplant recipients infected with human immunodeficiency virus.Am J Transplant. 2016; 16: 2368-2376
Published online: November 24, 2022
© 2022 International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. All rights reserved.